I ate this entire cake in three days. Six was home but he didn’t want any of it. He was wrong. It is delicious. Applesauce cake sounds weird and you have to break out the food processor (or blender, I don’t have a food processor) to make it but man oh man is it goooooooooood.
It’s also a lot of work. Well, for me it was a lot of work. There’s the blender and you have to get out a saucepan and I used four bowls but I will make it again.
And you should, too! It keeps on the counter wrapped in foil for two days (I just ate the last hunk this morning and it was moist and delicious.) Make it ahead if you are having people over for the holidays. Hell, make it today and eat it all before anyone gets to your house.
It’s your life, might as well handle cake your way. My cousin refuses to eat cake. Good on her and more for the rest of us!
- ¾ cup dried apples, cut into ½ inch pieces
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce, room temperature
- ⅔ cup sugar
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking SODA
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- ½ tsp salt
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled (for dairy free, use 3/4 cup vegetable oil or one cup coconut oil, coconut oil might alter flavor)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 325 degrees and grease an 8×8 inch baking pan
- Simmer dried apples in the apple cider until liquid evaporates, about 15 minutes.
- Let mixture cool then process with applesauce until smooth
- Whisk sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves together in bowl; set aside 2 tablespoons for topping
- Whisk flour and baking soda together
- Whisk egg and salt together in large bowls. Whisk in sugar mixture until well combined and light colored. Whisk in melted butter (or oil) in 3 additions then applesauce mixture.
- Using rubber spatula, fold in flour mixture.
- Scrape batter into prepared pan, smooth top and tap gently on counter to settle batter. Sprinkle reserved sugar mixture over top.
- Bake about 35 to 40 minutes. Let cool. Cut up. Consume.