This week is Contessa Garten’s Grilled lemon chicken skewers with satay dip. I don’t own a bbq so I couldn’t grill the chicken for this recipe. I have a Cuisinart indoor grill thing that I used instead and it worked great. And I didn’t have to work with open flames so that was good. It’s summer and sweltering so I don’t understand why people want to go outside and stand over smoking hot coals to cook food. That seems something to do in Spring and Fall when it is cooler and the bbq could warm you up.
But whatever. Cooking is a mystery.
But this recipe is delicious! And easy. Contessa Garten knows what she is doing. The sauce came together fast and was so good I am tempted to make it to dip other food in. Like the chicken nuggets I often heat up for Six. No judgment. Safe space.
- ¾ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (about 4 lemons)
- 3/4 cup good olive oil
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme leaves, or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 pounds boneless chicken breasts, halved and skin removed
Whisk together the lemon juice, olive oil, salt, pepper, and thyme. Pour over the chicken breasts in a nonreactive bowl. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 6 hours or overnight.
Heat a charcoal grill. Grill the chicken breasts for 10 minutes on each side, until just cooked through. Cool slightly and cut diagonally in 1/2-inch-thick slices. Skewer with wooden sticks and serve with Satay Dip. (I did not skewer. I have a six year old, I don’t skewer anything. Ever.)
- 1 tablespoon good olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dark sesame oil
- 2/3 cup small-diced red onion (1 small onion) I left out the onion
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic (2 cloves), I used the frozen cubes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger root, I used the frozen cubes
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons good red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry, I bought cheap sherry from the supermarket
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lime juice
Cook the olive oil, sesame oil, red onion, garlic, ginger root, and red pepper flakes in a small, heavy-bottomed pot on medium heat until the onion is transparent, 10 to 15 minutes. Whisk in the vinegar, brown sugar, soy sauce, peanut butter, ketchup, sherry, and lime juice; cook for 1 more minute. Cool and use as a dip for Grilled Lemon Chicken skewers.
Yield: 1 1/2 cups
Copyright 1999, The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook, All Rights Reserved